myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: JSF Backing Bean Unit Testing
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 13:39:55 GMT
Murat Hazer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write unit tests on my backing beans' action,
> actionListener and other methods, and using shale-test framework to
> accomplish this. From TDD principles i know every unit test should test
> only itself not other functions or layers etc., but in my scenario
> backing beans use spring managed services and these services also use
> hibernate managed DAOs, and also these backing beans use other request
> or session based beans. What are the best practices about unit testing
> backing beans like this?
>
> Should i also use mock objects (like jmock or easymock) for these
> properties of the backing beans? And what should i do to validate
> faces-config files? I study appfuse (on backing bean tests exceutes all
> layer functions..) and examples come with shale, they are not very clear
> (or my misunderstaning), i think i need a clear and nice sample (also
> other users) unit test on a such complicated backing bean)

If you want to do unit tests, use mock objects so that you test only the
backing bean methods.  If you want to do
functional/integration/acceptance tests, your test needs to set up
spring and container resources so that the bean executes through all the
tiers.  Depends on which you want to do.

--
Dave Brondsema
Software Developer