myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Frank Felix Debatin" <...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: param, updateActionListener, pageFlowScope, getCurrentRowData.. which design for CRUD with JSF?
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 13:27:16 GMT
We're using <af:setActionListener> consistently, doing
things like:

<af:table var="item">
	<af:column>
		<af:commandLink ...>
			<af:setActionListener from="#{item}"
				to="#{EditItem.item}"/>
		</af:commandLink>
	</af:column>
</af:table>

All in all nice.

If I would need to start from scratch, I'd probably use a
facelets custom EL function like this:

	<af:commandLink action="my:invoke('page', item)"/>

where my:invoke stores the parameter in some kind of hash
map for later retrieval. Or the backing bean base class has
an overridable invoke(Object obj) method, or similar.

Regards
Frank Felix

by
> now. I'd like to discuss with you about the different ways

> the framework allows for passing parameters between views,

> which is a primary requirements for CRUD operations. I've
> tried many, each one with advantages and
> drawbacks:
>
> 1) Nesting an <f:param> inside the UICommand
> Problems: doesn't work with redirects, need to access an
> "ExternalContext" to retrieve the value
>
> 2) Nesting an <t:updateActionListener> (or a
> <af:setActionListener>) updating a backing bean property
> Problems: requires to create a property on a backing bean
> only for passing the parameter
>
> 3) Using the PageFlowScope of ADF Faces
> Problems: the target action has to be part of dialog (or
to start one)

> 4) Getting the current row from a custom DataModel (or
> CollectionModel for ADF Faces)
> Problems: it can be used only when the source of the
action
> is an UICommand inside a data table
>
> Am I missing something? What do you thing about those
> methods? Which one do you prefer? I know that each one is
> better for some situation, but I'd like to adopt a
consistent
> scheme across my application, to simplify maintenance and
> be able to recycle some view by defining a standard
interface.