myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Velocity-based renderers
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2006 18:52:52 GMT
Alexandre Poitras schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have seen Matthias's blog entry on Velocity-based renderers. I have
> use it succesfully and made some improvements to it but I was
> wondering if anyone has already made significant work in this aspect.

Not to my knowledge, the main problem I see with MatthiasĀ“s approach is
that it works on a per component level which is a performance problem.
Instead of rendering the raw html per component, you have to go through
the entire velocity layer per component which ends up in building the
velocity layer again and again (or at least having to parse the template
again and again)

There are saner ways to get an easy componentization now, use facelets,
which is probably the best you can get for now.

As much as I would love to see something Velocitish as JSF rendering
architecture (I used to use Jetspeed ans Turbine and know about the
advantages of velocity over a taglib system)
I only see one way to integrated it in a sane manner.
Write your own view handler and push renderers for every component you
need into it and write the binding code which binds the existing
controls into velocity. Given the fact that we have to deal with a fair
number of components here, it is a huge task, nobody has to followed so
far, to my knowledge.

It probably is better to go for facelets than to follow the we
integrated velocity into jsf approach.