myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Heinen" <...@recommind.com>
Subject RE: ExceptionHandling with JSF and Tiles
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:43:55 GMT
Has anybody a hint?

________________________________

From: Michael Heinen [mailto:mhn@recommind.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 30. März 2006 09:41
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: ExceptionHandling with JSF and Tiles

Hi all,

I am still confused about Exception Handling. I know that this has been discussed on many
threads but I don't know how to handle exceptions

outside Actions/ActionListeners.

My setup is MyFaces 1.1.1 and Tiles with the JspTilesViewHandlerImpl.

I can create FacesMessages and forward to any outcome page when an exception occurs in an
action/actionListener. This is working fine and no problem.

I don't know how to handle serious errors in BackingBean constructors or setters.

I tried to catch them and re-throw them as FacesExceptions but my error pages (defined in
web.xml) are not displayed.

Instead of the error page the original requested tiles template is partly processed.

A ServletException is displayed in place of the tiles-part that caused the error.

e.g. ServletException in:/xxx.jsp] Cannot get value for expression '#{ABackingBean.aValue}'

How do others handle exceptions with myFaces and Tiles?

Are there any best practices?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael