myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Kienenberger" <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to implement a Start Again Button on a edit view
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 22:19:24 GMT
> On 4/4/06, Lindholm, Greg <glindholm@neom.com> wrote:
> > Previously the startAgain() method was just returning null.
> > I changed the startAgain() method to to return "startAgain"
> > and added a navigation rule back to the same page and now it
> > is working.
> >
> > Is this expected/defined behaviour?
> > Or is it a fluke?
> >
> > I don't want to rely on it if it may change in the next
> > release.
>
> I don't know.   It's probably reasonable to think that you'll need a
> new page if you ask for it "by navigation rule"  -- this would be the
> case in a multi-window application.   Null is always supposed to
> return the current page.
>
> I'd probably continue with this behavior.   I don't think it will change.

It looks like this behavior is mandated by the spec, so you should be
able to count on it remaining constant.
7.4 NavigationHandler
7.4.1 Overview
As mentioned below,
if the outcome returned by the application action is null, the same
view must be redisplayed.
This is the only case where the same view (and component tree) is reused..