myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ManagedBean Get and Set Values on Constructor
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:25:12 GMT
Hi Uri,

you can do all the *ugly* parameter handling, but you should go ahead and use
 <t:updateActionListener/>.

For instance you have a grid like
<h:dataTable var="analysemappe"
value="#{analysisFolderMaster.analysisfolders}"...>

</h:dataTable>

You could do something like

<h:commandButton
  value="Details"
  styleClass="stdButton"
  action="details">

<t:updateActionListener
   property="#{analysisFolderDetail.analysisFolder}"
  value="#{analysemappe}" />
</h:commandButton>

This commandButton will navigate you to a *detail* page and passes the
current grid object (#{analysemappe}) to "analysisFolder"-property of
the backing bean "analysisFolderDetail".

On the detail page you can do stuff like

<h:outputText value="#{analysisFolderDetail.analysisFolder.name}"/>

See also [1] for more. Also you could uses Shale's ViewController.

-Matthias

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/ExecutingMethodsFromLinkButtonParameters

On 4/25/06, Uri Kalish <ukalish@mercury.com> wrote:

> We have a page displaying a list of objects.
>
> When a user clicks on an object we want to display and edit the object
> details on another page.
>

> So…
>
> A user clicks on an object on page1.
>
> We save the object id (by java script) to a hidden field on page1 (bound to
> a field on ManagedBean1) and submit page1.
>
> On ManagedBean1 code we navigate to page2.
>
> ManagedBean2 gets the id from the field on ManagedBean1 (by facesContext and
> createValueBinding) and saves it to a field (bound to a hidden field on
> page2).
>
> It happen ON THE CONSTRUCTOR of ManagedBean2 because it needs the object id
> in order to initialize its fields from the database.
>

> Now…
>
> If we now want to refresh page2 (e.g. due to some error)… we can't get the
> id on time (because getting the id is done on the ManagedBean2 constructor
> before it restores its values from the page).
>

> Any ideas regarding best practice for this issue?

>  This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
>  For more information please visit
> http://www.messagelabs.com/email

Matthias Wessendorf
Aechterhoek 18