myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Laurie Harper <lau...@holoweb.net>
Subject Re: JSF support East Asian characters ?
Date Sun, 01 Jan 2006 00:29:04 GMT
 > Does the browser(IE) or <inputText> do the encoding of characters?

If the inputText component has an initial value, it will be encoded
server-side using the view's output encoding. When you submit the form,
the browser will encode the current value of the inputText using
whatever encoding it chooses to submit with -- usually the same as the
encoding of the page containing the form.

 >> I set the browser(IE) encoding to Unicode before typing the East Asia
 >> characters, after submit, the browser encoding changed to Western
 >> Europe(ISO).

So it looks like you're sending the browser a page that's encoded as
ISO-8859-something, not UTF-8. That wont work for Asian characters, of
course.

 >> From browser view/source,
 >>
 >>   > CONTENT="text/html;charset=UTF-8">
 >>
 >> it says UTF-8.

That's in your 'meta' tag in the HTML 'head'? What do you have in your
JSP to specify the page encoding, other than the meta tag? Are you using
a page directive? The meta tag is not enough by itself to tell the JSP
engine to use UTF-8 encoding.

The JSP engine needs to know the correct output encoding to use. If it's
using one encoding (ISO-8859-?), but your meta tag specifies the page
uses a different encoding (UTF-8), things are going to get messed up;
the data is sent in IS0-8859-? but the browser is trying to decode it
using UTF-8.

L.

Dave wrote:
> In my configuration I have only English. The locale config is for resource bundle.  But
the problem I have is the East Asia input and display, not locale support.
>   I can type East Aisa characters such as Chinese into the <inputText> without
problems, but when they display back after submit, the characters becomes something like: