myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: What PDF library or framework to create PDF on the fly-->iText?
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:29:55 GMT
Sorry I meant CSV and Excel files...
PDF is possible it is one of two rendering targets Birt currently
supports.

As for the other questions
Well my experiences so far are
iText in a rollout, and birt for testing,
an ex colleque of mine once used fop as rendering
engine.
And I also have used POI.
And Velocity of course.

For jasper I do not have first hand experience, but some people like it.

iText is somewhat too low level for what you try to achieve.
I did that once for a person form, which had to be rendered on the fly
into something PDFish and ended up with around 2000 lines of code
(700 of it being a factory which generated all the elements
of the form on the fly, to have it encapsuled)

But iText is excellent if you have to pump out huge reports of thousands
of pages, it does scale excellently.
(I once used it to concatenate thousands of pdf pages into a huge
compound document, and it blew the adobe tools against the wall,
literally, speedwise)

But doing the form job in iText in my opinion was choosing the wrong
tool for the job, I probably would have done it with birt in much less time.
Jasper is pretty equal to Birt to my knowledge of Jasper, but the better
layouting tools are commercial (there is at least one jasper layouting
tool for eclipse, but that one costs 100$)

But one thing seems to be solved in Jasper huge reports, they have
integrated a special mechanism for that job (basically a rendering swap
space for holding the render tree)
Also jasper seems to have more rendering targets as birt.

As for POI nice library for doing Microsoft documents, but it has the
problem, it is also only suitable for large reports, because it keeps
the entire rendering tree in ram before pumping out the document.

Velocity is not really suitable for pumping out pdf reports but it is a
very nice templating library nevertheless. (perfect for text based
output in whatever textformat you can imagine)

In the end you probably if you want to stay on the shoestring side of
things budgetwise probably will end up with a combination of tools.
Handcoding or iText for large complicated reports, (maybe jasper as well
although it has page break problems on subreports)

and something graphical for the form like stuff, which is heavier on the
layouting side of things.

Cocoon also could be an option if you have raw xml core data you have to
render towards different targets.

andreas.mitter@magnasteyr.com wrote:
> I have read that saving the PDF is not possible yet, but I don't understand this.
> I mean when BIRT creates the PDF the Acrobat Reader should open and there I can save
the PDF or do i err?

> Regards
> Andy

Stylus Studio (both of which you can get free trials of).
>>>I believe FOP is used quote a lot when it fits the scenario. The FOP site itself
does what the original poster asked - renders a PDF version of each of its HTML pages.

>>>Altova Stylevision is a visual tool/reporting engine based on XML with FOP integration.
>>>
>>>Not sure about Stylus, but Stylevision I believe allows you to import an HTML
file and then generate the PDF from the result. It will also generate the XSLT for you to
plug into your favourite XML library.

>>>FOP is undergoing a long and complete rewrite to support complex features which
were hard to do in the previous version, but the current release is fairly stable and functional
for the more basic layout tasks. If you are using complex layouts, you will probably get frustrated.
(whatever technology you use!)