myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: AW: Re: What PDF library or framework to create PDF on the fly-->iText?
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:54:49 GMT
Well to get it right, the original poster asked for a way to render
the jsf files into pdf automatically, this is neither possible with
xsl-fo nor any other templating mechanism mentioned (cocoon and a bunch
of others)

What probably could be achieved would be some cocoon like intermediate
rendering step which renders the page

a) into a jsf page given a certain base data
b) into a pdf page

but this is out of scope for simply applying fop (xsl-fo) you will end
up with something cocoonish that way and it is probably out of the time
scope of the original poster to implement such a thing.

If you do not want to spend time on a research project into code
generation I really can recommend, to split the view into following concerns

a) a simple HTML Rendering of your forms, which already is done in JSF
b) a reporting part which extracts nice pdfs closely looking like your
forms, this can be done with any reporting tool you like,
xsl-fo, birt, japser reports or whatever technology to use as reporting
frontend.

Alan Biggs wrote:
>>FOP is a standard but almost
>>not used, so design tools are scarce,
>

> Some commercial products use FOP for rendering, such as Altova Stylevision and Stylus
Studio (both of which you can get free trials of).
> I believe FOP is used quote a lot when it fits the scenario. The FOP site itself does
what the original poster asked - renders a PDF version of each of its HTML pages.

>>you should probably give visual
>>tools in conjunction with reporting engines a shot
>

> Altova Stylevision is a visual tool/reporting engine based on XML with FOP integration.
>
> Not sure about Stylus, but Stylevision I believe allows you to import an HTML file and
then generate the PDF from the result. It will also generate the XSLT for you to plug into
your favourite XML library.

> FOP is undergoing a long and complete rewrite to support complex features which were
hard to do in the previous version, but the current release is fairly stable and functional
for the more basic layout tasks. If you are using complex layouts, you will probably get frustrated.
(whatever technology you use!)