myfaces-users mailing list archives

From jeff.mul...@us.abb.com
Subject StartupServletContextListener crashes Tomcat container
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:48:33 GMT
Greetings

I just joined this list tonight, as I have only started messing around
witth Java Server Faces and Tomcat.
I am working through some tutorials very slowly and I seem to be able to
work the JSP side of things
fairly well, but I cannot get Java Server Faces to work at all. I will skip
the tortuous details of how I got
to this point and simply say that I get the following error when I try to
add the StartupServletContextListener
to the web.xml file

Dec 7, 2005 4:48:43 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Dec 7, 2005 4:48:43 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/samples] startup failed due to previous errors

Relevant info:
      Apache/Tomcat version 5.5.12
      MyFaces 1.1.1

Included in common\lib
      commons-beanutils.jar
      commons-collections.jar
      commons-digester.jar
      commons-el.jar
      commons-logging.jar
      custom_jsf_lib_1_0_2.jar
      jasper-compiler-jdt.jar
      jasper-compiler.jar
      jasper-runtime.jar
      jsf-api.jar
      jsf-impl.jar
      jsp-api.jar
      jstl.jar
      naming-factory-dbcp.jar
      naming-factory.jar
      naming-resources.jar
      sample_app_1_0_2.jar
      servlet-api.jar
      standard.jar
      struts.jar

web.xml file
<?xml version="1.0" ?>

    version="2.4">

<context-param>
    <param-name>javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD</param-name>
    <param-value>server</param-value>
  </context-param>

<!-- Startup of Tomcat works until I add this node -->
    <listener>

<listener-class>org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextListener</listener-class>
    </listener>

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>FacesServlet</servlet-name>
    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>FacesServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>*.faces</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

</web-app>

As I point out above, starting Tomcat works until I add the <listener>
node. Without it, or so I gather from
googling this all day, the faces page won't work, but the server starts up
at least.

So, what exactly am I missing? (I hope this is enough info)

Thanks
Jeff