myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Alan Biggs <red3softw...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: AW: Re: What PDF library or framework to create PDF on the fly-->iText?
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:06:52 GMT
> FOP is a standard but almost
> not used, so design tools are scarce,

Some commercial products use FOP for rendering, such as Altova Stylevision and Stylus Studio
(both of which you can get free trials of).
I believe FOP is used quote a lot when it fits the scenario. The FOP site itself does what
the original poster asked - renders a PDF version of each of its HTML pages.

> you should probably give visual
> tools in conjunction with reporting engines a shot

Altova Stylevision is a visual tool/reporting engine based on XML with FOP integration.

Not sure about Stylus, but Stylevision I believe allows you to import an HTML file and then
generate the PDF from the result. It will also generate the XSLT for you to plug into your
favourite XML library.

FOP is undergoing a long and complete rewrite to support complex features which were hard
to do in the previous version, but the current release is fairly stable and functional for
the more basic layout tasks. If you are using complex layouts, you will probably get frustrated.
(whatever technology you use!)

Alan B.