myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "James Salt" <james.s...@millwood.uk.com>
Subject RE: Re: JBoss Seam & JSF
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:38:29 GMT

Hi Werner

I am currently trying out Seam+EJB3+JBPM and Portal. The portal element
is a very new addition to the mix.

This framework seams to be a large step forward for the integration of
these valuable technologies.

I am very impressed as a newbie with the ease of pickup.

The current version of Seam (CVS) has ironed out the facesContext bug.

All in all I would recommend it to anyone in the java world.

James Salt

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Werner Punz
Sent: 15 December 2005 09:06
To: users@myfaces.apache.org
Subject: Re: JBoss Seam & JSF

I did some experiments with it a while ago, but gave it up due to a
unsolvable bug (the faces context was not injected)
but I loved it.
There are some huge plusses compared to plain JSF or JSF and Spring +
Hibernate (which I normally use)

a) The session beans automatically are managed beans
b) You get a very good scoping mechanism out of the box
c) EJB3 is a tad simpler than plain Hibernate which is a huge plus

And to sum it up, EJB3 is simply excellent and elegant. It is finally
done business facades/components (BO DAO Patterns) done right.
Add to that JSR220 for the persistence part and the Eclipse plugin
and you have a very good application foundation.

The downside was the byzantine deployment (which was inherited by the
old EJB stuff, with pars, etc...) and some bugs I ran along.

But once seam with all its merits will run in tomcat only (which they
seem to work on) it will be an interesting choice for the future.
>From what I could gather, the seam people already work on a Rails like
crud generation mechanism.

All it needs is to get another beta release and I will give it another
try (some of the deployment issues already have been fixed, you do not
need a separate persistence package anymore).

I will give it another try.

One huge downside however and that is the same with hibernate is, that
the dependency cascade is way to big for any supporting lib.
Hibernate has around 20 dependencies, seam way more, because if you want
to run it outside of jboss, you have the jboss embedded engine, which
adds a huge additional layer of dependencies to the mix.

Therefore I am still undecided on the when to start to use it and where.
Spring + JSR220 EJB3 will become a viable alternative as well,
especially due to the Glassfish persistence lib only having 4 supportive
libraries all from the javax domain and none from the apache domain.
Compared to the JBoss implementation with 20+ libraries some of them
critical ones which can become a huge maintenance nightmare if you want
to upgrade parts of your system.