myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@obsidium.com>
Subject Re: Why is verbatim component transient?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:08:00 GMT
Volker Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just came over a problem with verbatim tags in ajax enabled components.
> see:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users%40myfaces.apache.org/msg12124.html
>
> The UIOutput components created for verbatim tags are not saved to state
> because there are explicitly set to transient.
>
> This makes it impossible to use verbatim tags in content of ajax components.
>
> Is there a spec reason for this, then we should have a tomahawk
> verbatim, or is this just because of performance?
>
> If not a spec reason this should be changed because seems to be a bug.

I would expect that the reason is for performance/memory/bandwidth
usage. As far as I can see, a UIOutput component (including f:verbatim
contents) can simply be recreated during render and discarded after;
there are never any events or model updates generated by an output
component so the component state is irrelevant.

And an f:verbatim component can potentially be very large. It would be a
great waste to store its entire state in memory - or even worse, to
stream it down to the client then back to the server when using
client-side state saving.

By the way, in most apache projects cross-posting to two different mail
lists is regarded as a bad thing. I've replied only to the user list
here; surely all developers will be subscribed to that.

Regards,

Simon