myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@obsidium.com>
Subject Re: curious problem with dates
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:30:55 GMT
Travis Reeder wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
>>> Well, if you're writing a webapp that can be accessed from multiple
>>> timezones then you need to handle this anyway; defaulting to the
>>> timezone the server happens to be in won't work. The webapp needs to
>>> specify a mapping that converts times to the timezone of the current user.
>
> No objections there, but defaulting to GMT won't work either.  So in
> the case where you're not specifying the timezone for the user, what's
> the best timezone to use that won't cause so much confusion?

That's why I suggested the default date format should include the
timezone. That way, people can see exactly what timezone was used. And
then the default timezone doesn't matter so much.

Often people have no idea what timezone the server of the webpage they
are accessing is in. Where are the servers of your bank's site? I have
no idea about mine..

Cheers,

Simon