myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "ir. ing. Jan Dockx" <jando...@mac.com>
Subject Re: General question about Action Listener
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:27:53 GMT
Because this is general code, and the rest of the world doesn't know
about your book-ID.

But in essence, you're right. This is a major (performance and
stability related) issue with JSF: too much stuff going on that is
often not needed.

And the problem is far more severe than you state now: just keep on
studying :-).

At this time, you have to choose: live with it, and enjoy the benefits
of JSF that do exist; or go for more optimal, less complex code, and do
it proprietary. Maybe Struts is an option for you: it has similar
issues, but is a lot less intrusive than JSF.

One last point: you could use outputLink instead of commandLink/Button
to trigger an action on another URL than the page-of-origin, but this
actually defies JSF.

On 30 Sep 2005, at 11:16, Matthias Klein wrote:

I just read http://www.laliluna.de/first-java-server-faces-tutorial.html

> and don't understand one thing:
>
> All action listener methods access the session. Why?
>
> Take a look at the "deleteBook" method, for instance. Instead of
> passing the
> book-ID direktly, its parameter is an event. Why?
>
> I mean, could the listBooks.jsp not simply pass the Book-ID as
> parameter to
> the method so that the parameter of deleteBook would be ID instead of
> event?
>
> Why is it necessary to access the session in every action listener and
> pass
> them events instead of IDs?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt