myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: composite controls
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:14:36 GMT
There are three ways to do this that I have successfully used.

#1)  Programmically create a set of controls as a new component.

#2)  Use x:aliasBean and a jsp include to represent your composite control.

#3)  Use ui:composition with the facelets library.

#1 is the hardest, most involved, and most fragile way to do it.

#2 is easy and requires only a dependency on x:aliasBean.   There are
possibly some issues with nesting x:aliasBean controls, however.

#3 is also easy and requires a dependency on the facelets library.

The resulting code for #2 and #3 are very similar, and converting
between them is trivial in most cases.

Shale's Clay subproject probably also offers similar functionality,
but I haven't used it yet.

You can find an example of #1 in issue MYFACES-331:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12311217/RowAndColumnRelationshipComponent.zip

An example of using #2 (without the custom component code) would look like this:

            <x:aliasBean alias="#{backingBean}"
value="#{activityTypeCategoryActivityTypeListRelationshipDataBackingBean}">
                <f:subview
id="activityTypeCategoryActivityTypeListRelationshipDataDataTableView">
        				<jsp:include page="/pages/BooleanRelationshipDataTable.jsp"/>
                </f:subview>
            </x:aliasBean>

An example of use #3 (without the custom component code) would look like this:

            <ui:include src="/pages/BooleanRelationshipDataTable.xhtml">
                <ui:param name="backingBean"
value="#{activityTypeCategoryActivityTypeListRelationshipDataBackingBean}"/>
            </ui:include>

-Mike