myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>
Subject Datamodel was Re: Java Studio Creator and MyFaces
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:25:26 GMT
Craig McClanahan wrote:

> I'd be happy to assist, but won't have time to do the whole thing.
> Maybe I can do a starter for one or two components as an example, and
> let you guys hammer out the rest of them.

Craig since you are here reading this, I have a question you might be
able to answer me best.
I have written a Hibernate Datamodel in the past, I am not totally happy
with it.
The problem is following:
The Datamodel follows the approach you guys layed out in the JSF specs
of first giving back the total number of datasets and then sending row
by row.

The main problem I  have with this approach is, that I cannot see a
clear demarkation line between start of request and end of request,
which would be needed in many cases to get a decent session and
transaction and and paging in place.

The only way I could see a way out would be over phase listeners which
sort of could trigger the datamodels at the beginning and and of the
phases, so that at the beginning the transaction or whatever you have
could be opened, or even the full page could be read, then the usual
mechanisms could trigger for and at the end of  the request cycle the
whatever cleanup which is needed could be done.
Which means some kind of inter application event system (doable, but messy)

Just my question to Craig, or whoever might be able to answer me this,
is there a better way to do this, without having to delegate such a task
to a phase listener (I am not totally happy about this approach)
I must have missed some clear demarkation point the last time I checked
out the code (I must admit also I was learning JSF back then)