myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Decker" <...@objectsource.org>
Subject Re: struts-faces mailing list
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:00:59 GMT
I have an existing app written with struts actions and JSTL in jsp. I just want to add
the tree component so people can browse my data. I tried to convert the whole app to
JSF but it is taking too long.

There are just too many bugs/inconsistencies to figure out. It took me two weeks to
write the original struts app. I spent a month trying to convert it to JSF and it
looks like I'll spend another month at least if I continue on that route. I don't even
know if it will work unless I write all the components to fit what I need. I have a
client to deliver to. The UI is only a small part of my application for now.

Another thing is that I don't want to lose bookmarks. It's actually something my
client wants and I had to write the struts app so I could bookmark any particular item
being shown. Integrating the tree component for browsing with the existing struts app
would actually work out much nicer for me in that respect.

>From a JSF perspective I just need the tree to display, open and close and only load
the nodes that are visible, which is what I have now. Everything in the facets shown
can link back out to the struts parts of the app.

I've actually got the tree showing up correctly on the page, even with call it with
the .do struts naming. I just need to figure out how to get it realize it needs to
deal with the tree when .faces is the extension and struts actions when .do is.

If I could do that I can have the <f:view> in the middle of my jsp page with the tree

and the rest of my jsp working in struts mode all around it.

When I goto mypage.do it loads fine, shows the tree, shows my struts/jstl jsp stuff.
When I click a tree node it tries to go to Mypage.faces and blows up on
tag.getAsString I guess because faces is now trying to parse the page. But if I go
back to mypage.do, the node I clicked is now opened. So it works, I just have to get
it to go to mypage.do instead of Mypage.faces when I click a node and make sure all
the facet links go back out to mypage.do, that last being the easy part.

--
Rob

@objectsource.org