myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jsf.js post 2.3 plans
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2017 12:31:53 GMT
I am not very eager anymore to use plain js
especially since we have to target ES5.
Even if we use ES6 we need to recompile back into ES6.

The reason why I moved the codebase over to Typescript
from my day to day work, was that the language thanks to Angular2
got enough foodhold to be used by a wider audience and it
really improves the code a lot thanks to rather sane extensions
to the Javascript.

In fact I personally think, a bigger JS Codebase is almost
unmaintainable in the long term if you dont move it to a higher level or
pull some third party libs in thanks to the dynamic untyped nature of
the languate. You still can cover a lot of issues by extensive unit
testing, but still the language is totally untyped and allows you
literally to change anything anywhere.

And Typescript is close enough and well documented enough that moving up
is a no brainer.

Typescript is more or less just a JavaScript ++.

In the end the result always is javascript, so even if a bug is just
investigated and sent back on plain javascript level it is easy to trace
it back to the typescript origins (either via mapping files which show
the bug straight in the browser as typescript or simply by looking up
the code)

As for Kotlin, this one also gets a wide adoption atm, thanks to Android
but i have a little bit of stomac ache due to the kotlin.js issue
and due to the fact that you cannot trace the  js code back as easily as
you can do on the typescript side.
Also it is a totally different abstraction layer.