myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache MyFaces dependencies on JDK-Internal APIs
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2015 17:29:58 GMT
MyFaces encompasses 11 subprojects, so it's going to take a lot of
resources to check all of them.

I know that there was a dependency fixed for the MyFaces Tomahawk
examples to the sun image package in the last couple of months.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> I quickly checked but had not enough spare time to dig deeper.
> Probably doing in the next days.
>
> Txs for the ping though, higly appreciated!
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> Am 22.06.2015 um 13:30 schrieb Rory O'Donnell <rory.odonnell@oracle.com>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to run the jdeps tool to check for dependencies
on JDK-Internal APIs ?

>> Rgds,Rory
>>
>> On 15/06/2015 14:08, Rory O'Donnell wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My name is Rory O'Donnell, I am the OpenJDK Quality Group Lead.
>>>
>>> I'm contacting you because your open source project seems to be a very popular
dependency for other open source projects.
>>> As part of the preparations for JDK 9, Oracle’s engineers have been analyzing
open source projects like yours to understand usage. One area of concern involves identifying
compatibility problems, such as reliance on JDK-internal APIs.

>>> Our engineers have already prepared guidance on migrating some of the more common
usage patterns of JDK-internal APIs to supported public interfaces.  The list is on the OpenJDK
wiki [0].

>>> As part of the ongoing development of JDK 9, I would like to inquire about your
usage of  JDK-internal APIs and to encourage migration towards supported Java APIs if necessary.

>>> The first step is to identify if your application(s) is leveraging internal APIs.
>>>
>>>   Step 1: Download JDeps.
>>> Just download a preview release of JDK8(JDeps Download). You do not need to actually
test or run your application on JDK8.  JDeps(Docs) looks through JAR files and identifies
which JAR files use internal APIs and then lists those APIs.
>>>   Step 2: To run JDeps against an application. The command looks like:
>>> jdk8/bin/jdeps -P -jdkinternals *.jar > your-application.jdeps.txt
>>>
>>> The output inside your-application.jdeps.txt will look like:
>>>
>>> your.package (Filename.jar)
>>>       -> com.sun.corba.se            JDK internal API (rt.jar)
>>> 3rd party library using Internal APIs:
>>> If your analysis uncovers a third-party component that you rely on, you can contact
the provider and let them know of the upcoming changes. You can then either work with the
provider to get an updated library that won't rely on Internal APIs, or you can find an alternative
provider for the capabilities that the offending library provides.

>>> Dynamic use of Internal APIs:
>>> JDeps can not detect dynamic use of internal APIs, for example through reflection,
service loaders and similar mechanisms.