Hi,

1/ Better do that in your Trinidad skin. Here's an example :
af|panelTabbed::tab
{
    background-image: url("unselected.png");
 }
af|panelTabbed::tab-selected
{
    background-image: url("selected.png");
}

2/ If the datepicker is missing, maybe you haven't set up the Resource servlet in your web.xml. Check the generated html source, you should be able to find the datepicker link. Can you see the color gradients in your components (your panelTabbed for instance should look like this : http://example.irian.at/trinidad-showcase-casablanca/component-demo/panelTabbed-Default . If not, it's definitely a problem with the resource servlet)

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Cedric Durmont