myfaces-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making Tomahawk Calendar more WCAG (accessibility) compliant
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:23:22 GMT
Mhh shall we integrate this?
I personally think it would make sense with some name changes.


Werner

Am 17.12.12 18:54, schrieb Jon Bionda:
> Sorry for what is likely a breach of protocol.  This is a suggestion on
> how to make the Tomahawk Calendar more WCAG compliant.  WCAG being a
> standard for gauging if browser based interfaces meet accessibility
> requirements primarily for disabled users.   I joined the list a while
> ago to report an error I found and it was fixed promptly so I continued
> to watch the list and see that you are now preparing the next Tomahawk
> release, so maybe the timing is right.
>
> We used an older version of Tomahawk (1.0.6) and found the
> HtmlInputCalendar component failed the WCAG compliancy tests with
> respect to missing some ‘alt’ and ‘title’ attributes on tags generated
> by the calendar component.   Some time ago, someone who has since left
> the company, made it mostly compliant by adding the following 8
> properties to the HtmlInputCalendar – I didn’t do the compliancy testing
> but understand there are different levels of compliancy and these
> missing attributes make it fail at a basic level, so there may be more
> minor compliance issues which is why I can’t say it would be fully
> compliant.
>
> The properties with hopefully self-describing names are:
>
>          calendarIconAlt
>
>          popupLeftArrowAlt
>
>          popupRightArrowAlt
>
>          popupMonthArrowAlt
>
>          popupYearArrowAlt
>
>          popupCloseButtonAlt
>
>          popupWeekOfYearTitle
>
>          popupWeekOfDateTitle
>
> I’ve looked into forward porting the old changes to the Tomahawk 1.1.14
> code base and have provided the code for adding the changes to the
> (org.apache.myfaces.custom.calendar) HtmlInputCalendar and
> HtmlCalendarRenderer classes.  However, I am having trouble unravelling
> the precise changes that were made to the popcalendar.js file ( they
> seemed to have got a newer version of the js file and made the changes
> on it but I can’t figure out which version get got it from, probably
> obvious to you guys).
>
> A related change is also included and was made because part of WCAG is
> supporting screen readers.  The text in alt and title attributes
> shouldn’t be using short forms of the week days (Sun, Mon, etc.) but
> rather their full names (Sunday, Monday, etc.).  In the
> HtmlCalendarRenderer.getLocalizedLanguageScript() method, I  see where
> they created a parallel String[] to weekDays to contain the full week
> day names.  This is also added to the initData to be accessible in the
> javascript.  We only use the calendar in popup mode so no changes were
> made to renderInline() but would expect it would also have to be
> modified to do a complete job.
>
> I zipped up the changes to the 2 java classes mentioned above (they only
> contained changed methods and have “WCAG change” comments identifying
> the changes), plus a sample properties file for default values and our
> popcalendar.js file.  This last one is where my knowledge is
> insufficient to help much, but maybe you will find it useful to see how
> the new properties and full week name array are used.  There may be
> other changes in the javascript file too as there was an issue related
> to focus.
>
> Thanks for your time and hope this helps.
>
> Jon Bionda
>



Mime
View raw message