myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Release checklist and voting checklist
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 13:50:38 GMT
A recent Apache email discussed releases, and lead me to the following
email.   I was particularly interested in the "some things to check
before voting" section which I think we should incorporate into our
own voting messages.   [Continued after the inline message below....]

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-syncope-dev/201208.mbox/%3C502144C9.3070408%40apache.org%3E
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Discussion thread for vote on <version> release, with SVN source tag
(r1370332).

For more information on the release process, check out
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

Some of the things to check before voting are:
  - does "mvn apache-rat:check" pass on the source
  - can you build the contents of source release zip and SVN tag
  - do all of the staged jars/wars/zips contain the required LICENSE and
NOTICE files
  - are all of the staged jars/wars/zips signed and the signature verifiable
  - is the signing key in the project's KEYS file and on a public server
(i.e. http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/syncope/)

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I looked around at our own site, and found Tobago's release checklist
page [1] which has a release checklist, a voting email template, and a
release template.   It was also the most obvious result of a Google
search on "myfaces release checklist."

[1] http://myfaces.apache.org/tobago/release-checklist.html

Our general Myfaces release information is referenced from the CWiki
"Release a MyFaces Project" page[2] with specific release notes for a
specific version stored on the wiki, such as the Myfaces Core Release
2.1.8 page located here[5].

[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYFACES/Release+a+MyFaces+Project
[3] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/CoreRelease218

The core release notes are great, although I think we should probably
put the release announcement in there.  Right now the two I looked at
only have placeholder text rather than an actual example announcement.
  I'll go ahead and do that for 2.1.8 and 2.1.1 on the wiki as these
are the ones most likely to be used a template for new releases.

I'd like to suggest that we also add text to these wiki documents
similar to the Syncope voting email above listing out things to check
before voting.   What do you think?