myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Leonardo Uribe <lu4...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release for myfaces archetypes 1.0.4
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 13:32:48 GMT
Hi Mark

2012/4/25 Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de>:
> Hi Leo!
>
> I tried it out. Here are a few things I found out.

Thanks for take a look in deep into this.

> a.)
>
> The archetype catalog on your people account doesn't work.
>
> I've now used the one from the staging repo:
>
> mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeCatalog=https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemyfaces-096/

I see. It is ok. The copy of
http://people.apache.org/~lu4242/m2_archetypes_104_release/archetype-catalog.xml
is to prevent loose that file when nexus deploy the files to the main
repo. That file will replace the one in
http://myfaces.apache.org/archetype-catalog.xml

> b.)
>
> tomcat7 integration: I know the tomcat7-maven-plugin is currently not perfect as it always
only uses tc-7.0.25.
> For changing this you need to add a <pluginManagement> section to the pom and define
quite a few tc dependencies with ${tomcat7.version} or so. I know that this sucks and I already
told it to some tomcat PMC. Maybe they will release the tomcat-maven-plugin as part of the
tc build in the future.

> So what do we do? Keep the pom minimal and take the out-of-the-box tc-7.0.25? Or should
we 'pollute' the pom with the pluginManagement section?

I think it is ok to let it as is. The default container is jetty 8,
because it is the one that works well in different configurations
(including CODI). For most JSF applications, it will work well.

> c.)
>
> what's the reason to have the containers switche via -D and activation (complicated)
instead of just adding a profile -Ptc ?

The consideration is -D could be in the future allow multiple profile
activation. See http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3328  . If some
day that happen, we can reduce the size of the poms, because we can
use a profile for add jars as dependencies and then in the activation
section indicate the containers where this should be activated. If we
are going to unify how use the archetypes, the option using -D sounds
better, even if we have used -PjettyConfig or -Ptc for a long time. To
reduce the complexity, the instructions were added at the to of all
pom.xml files.

> d.)
>
> The CODI sample app crashes with the following exception after entering a name and clicking
on the button:

> javax.el.PropertyNotFoundException: Target Unreachable, identifier 'helloWorld' resolved
to null

> viewId=/helloWorld.xhtml
> location=/Users/struberg/tmp/delete/myfacesarchetypes/mf-test-codi/src/main/webapp/helloWorld.xhtml
> phaseId=PROCESS_VALIDATIONS(3)
>
> Caused by:
> javax.el.PropertyNotFoundException - Target Unreachable, identifier 'helloWorld' resolved
to null
> at org.apache.el.parser.AstValue.getTarget(AstValue.java:98)
>
> /helloWorld.xhtml at line 35 and column 84    value="#{helloWorld.name}"
>

> Thus a -1 as we should fix the codi app crash in a 2nd iteration.

I know that. This is caused when running:

mvn clean -Dcontainer=tomcat7 tomcat:run

but if you run:

mvn clean -Dcontainer=tomcat7 tomcat:run-war

That's the reason why jetty 8 still is the default (the plugin has a
fix sended long time ago to detect files in /WEB-INF/lib).

To overcome that limitation, MyFaces Core has a web config param:

org.apache.myfaces.annotation.SCAN_PACKAGES

This one allow to scan for JSF annotations on directly on the relevant
packages. But CODI does not have anything similar.

In conclusion, we can't fix CODI / tomcat:run case without change its
internals, and that means another release. Please note:

mvn clean jetty:run

works without problem.

regards,

Leonardo Uribe