myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Internal Incubator
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:57:13 GMT
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew@apache.org> wrote:
> FWIW:
>
> -1
>
> why introducing yet another level of "incubation" process ?
> I find it (very) problematic trying to be in some sort of
> "competition" w/ the Apache Incubator...
> (even if the discussed targets here are JSF specific)

As I have attempted to point out elsewhere via email links (which
presumably went unfollowed), not only is this "problematic"; per
Incubator PMC consensus it is downright unacceptable.  You simply
can't have a mini-incubator so complete that it makes sense even to
use the *name* "incubator".  PLEASE read [1] for background, or skip
directly to [2] (search for "Some possible solutions") to know what IS
acceptable.  There is no need for MyFaces to rehash my experiences on
Commons' behalf two-plus years ago.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/n3t7lksceuplh45r
[2] http://markmail.org/message/r6ffmmyh6pxnn6nd

Matt

> Why not simply "moving" future (MyFaces) GSoC directly to the Apache
> Labs project  ([1])?!
> For there, just start coding and releasing (alphas etc). The new
> release process is straightforward
> and not heavyweight - so (alpha) releases are cheap.
>
> -M
>
> [1] http://labs.apache.org/
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Bernd Bohmann
> <bernd.bohmann@atanion.com> wrote:
>> Ok,
>>
>> if there is no real difference between Apache Incubator and Apache
>> MyFaces Incubator,
>> I have to change my vote to
>>
>> -1
>>
>> especially a have a problem with:
>>
>> All code donations from external organisations and
>> existing external projects wishing to join MyFaces enter through the
>> MyFaces-Incubator.
>>
>> This is the Apache Incubator role.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Bernd
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Gerhard Petracek
>> <gerhard.petracek@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> hi bart,
>>>
>>> as mentioned [1] by mark it's also about ip clearance [2].
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> gerhard
>>>
>>> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/myfaces-dev/201110.mbox/%3C1319274310.93350.YahooMailNeo@web27807.mail.ukl.yahoo.com%3E
>>> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>>>
>>> http://www.irian.at
>>>
>>> Your JSF powerhouse -
>>> JSF Consulting, Development and
>>> Courses in English and German
>>>
>>> Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

with rules and legal stuff. We should encourage people to contribute, instead of scaring them
away. "Sandbox" or "labs" sounds encouraging and accessible. But perhaps we should discuss/vote
the name in another thread and first focus on the idea...