myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [core extcdi] is required to create another proposal about windowId?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:28:15 GMT
Hi!

The ClientSideWindowHandler solution in CODI looks good so far, but there is still a lot to
do.

And like every technology, it has it's pros and cons...

What do you think about making the windowId provider pluggable in MyFaces core first?

The REAL problem with JSF and multiple tabs is that once you open 2 tabs and click in 1 of
them often enough, then you will destroy the state of the view in the other tab as well somewhen.
Usually after 20 requests (default).

To come over this, we need to store the n last views not only per session, but also per browser
tab (==windowId).
Of course, there can be lots of fancy stuff done to detect closed tabs, etc. But all this
is much more stable if we really have the opportunity to distinguish between tabs. We can
e.g. also introduce a configuration for maximum allowed tabs, to reduce memory blasting.

All this is actually completely independent of how the windowId get's created and checked
imo.

LieGrue,
strub

PS: btw, a PhD student in my institute made me aware of a trick with the browser history.
I think Jakob also already researched in this direction:
https://github.com/balupton/history.js/wiki/Intelligent-State-Handling
This mechanism does only 1 GET request (mine does 2), but with pure AJAX you imo cannot fully
replace the header once the window is fully loaded. Thus you cannot easily handle dynamically
loaded CSS, background images, etc with this approach.