myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] why do we overcomplicate our code soooo much?
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:54:30 GMT
Mhh just a suggestion without having looked at the code, because I am
"decraping" the javascripts currently that way, we dont we split the
functionality apart to get a lean core and some extension for people
which just need the extended functionality. IMHO the better approach
than to push everything into one handler.

Werner

Am 10/28/11 12:16 AM, schrieb Mark Struberg:
>    Hi folks!
>
> I'm just comparing the original proposal of the resource handler from Jakob (which works
fine)

> http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/relative-resource-handler/source/checkout
>
> and what we do have now in myfaces-commons-resource-handler
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/commons/trunk/myfaces-commons-resourcehandler
(has problems with multiple servlets - fixed that itmt)

> and to be honest - I'm freaking out a bit!
> Blowing up the code (with almost the same functionality) to 10 times the amount of code
and copying tons of code from our other projects over cannot be the right solution. Really,
please be honest and just compare the functionality

> original config parsing: 110 LOC, working well (java6 specific)
>
> new version: 20 classes with ~1800 LOC!
>
> And all that just to support java5? I cannot believe that! Even if I need to hack all
this myself (without any JAX parser or other utility), I don't need more than 200 LOC!

> ->  if there is no really good explanation then lets throw the crap away.
>

> next stop:
>

> package org.apache.myfaces.commons.resourcehandler.resource;
>
> original: 3 classes, ~1000 LOC, working
>
> myfaces-commons-resource-handler: 13 classes, ~ 2400 LOC
>
> containing lots of functionality which we NEVER will need!
>
> But at least this code is undocumented (almost no single javadoc) and contains no unit
tests</sarcasm>

> I'm really in the mood to rollback this project and start if all over again...
>

> Really, please, the projects intention was to REPLACE the overloaded crap we have in
the JFS spec as resource handler with a LIGHT and powerful alternative. Thus this shall not
get bloated and filled with crap copied all over the place.