myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web Framework Performance Comparision
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:21:59 GMT
Actually now that I have some tests at hand, I just
coded some profiling code in.

Here are some numbers for tests which are running on both impls.
The tests have been performed at the Production stage on both impls.
The testing environments where myfaces 2.1.4-SNAPSHOT against Mojarra
2.1.2. Both running on the same testing framework. The tests usually are
done from the begin of the testgroup til the end they count more or less
server and client performance and testing time. But the differences give
a good indication about the corresponding speeds.

The machine which ran the tests was a macbook pro core2duo with 8 gig
ram and the tests were run on an ssd. So IO impact is down to a bare
minimum here. The tests themselves do not do any excessive disk io.

JSF Protocol Tests
MyFaces:  Time for test in ms: 239
Mojarra: Time for test in ms: 207
This is a servlet based test

Testgroup: Full Body Replacement
MyFaces:Time for test in ms: 42
Mojarra:Time for test in ms: 35
This is a servlet based test

Testgroup: Multi form situation
MyFaces: Time for test in ms: 4134
Mojarra:Time for test in ms: 4426
This is a jsf related test

Testgroup: Testing for decorated api calls
MyFaces: Time for test in ms: 24
Mojarra: Time for test in ms: 34

Testgroup: Double Eval Detection:
MyFaces: Time for test in ms: 2047
Mojarra: Time for test in ms: 2060

Testgroup: Table Test, replacement of table elements
MyFaces: Time for test in ms: 7289
Mojarra: Time for test in ms: 9229

Testgroup: Partial Page Rendering Nav Case
MyFaces: Time for test in ms: 2168
Mojarra: Time for test in ms: 2308

Testgroup: MyFaces Event Lifecycle test
MyFaces: Time for test in ms: 130
Mojarra: Time for test in ms: 131

So what we have here is that in most cases especially in all jsf related
tests myfaces is a little bit faster than Mojarra.
Our scripts seem to be roughly 10% slower, however.But i also still have
some self induced overhead in the test framework which might count for
roughly 2-3% which is not active in Mojarra and we deal with corner
cases mojarra does not cover.

The difference probably is on IE6 even more, because I am dealing more
cleanly with the broken garbage collector of IE6 in my code which causes
also some performance overhead.

Also have in mind, we deal with more functonality and more code and also
we have some fixes in which Mojarra yet has to add.
Under normal JSF circumstances by now the server seems to make up for
the speed difference (normally 95% of the time is spent on the server
anyway) by being roughly 10-15% faster than Mojarra by now.

If we turn to development the picture turns a little bit with myfaces
being slower in some tests (I will give the performance numbers tomorrow).

So my conclusion is that they probably have tested against an old Impl
here.

I will commit the code with the profiling data tomorrow once I have
resolved the problem of the testing framework interfering with myfaces
on production level performancewise.

Werner