myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extension-Scripting status
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:57:10 GMT
Ok another status update since some people obviously read my postings
regarding it (Although I always have the impression no one does from the
feedback in the list).

The next commit will happen probably tomorrow, I am working on it.
Two new features are enabled, which are the last two from my side
probably which will hit the codebase pre 1.0.

(The Spring part is still pending but that is not my code...
Bernhard... hurry up!)

Whats new, I added a compiler output catching component, so that you can
see the compiler errors instantly on your page you are editing.

I added some JSF2 facelet extension code, because the original codebase
did not have an error, but the tag attribute resolution was caching the
method and once I replaced the component it caused an class exception
because the method which was cached was triggered on an old version of
the class while the instance already had a different class.

The solution is to make a Java 7 like InvokeVirtual (which I can
simulate in my framework with some introspection code) on the new instance.

I would propose a fix in our codebase in the long run so that I can drop
this extension, but for now lets leave it how it is, since I could use
an official extension point it was a no brainer.

So far this works only on JSF2, and probably we will have to live with
it because I am not sure if I have a similar extension point in the
original facelets codebase. I also must say I am not very eager to fix
it at all for 1.2.x because it will be legacy soon anyway.

Anyway this now introduces the possibility to write a JSF2 component
from start to scratch in java or groovy without a single server restart
if you dont have to introduce your own Tag Handler. (I was eating my own
dogfood, I implemented the compiler output catching component with
ext-scripting, hence I discovered this problem)

Thats it for now, I will do a few videos showing off the latest codebase
next week, when I finally have more time again to work on things -
opensource.

Werner