myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Bernhard Huemer <bernhard.hue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MyFaces Core + Trinidad + Facelets in OSGi container
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 12:24:14 GMT
Hi,

as I've announced something similar a few weeks ago (due to a disease,
however, I didn't have the time to contribute these changes yet), I'm
wondering how you implemented that with "some modifications"?

For example, Facelets built-in components (<h:form>, ...) didn't work
for me as Facelets doesn't know how to parse bundles. Of course, a
bundle is basically just a plain JAR file, but the resource URL of
those JAR files start with "bundle://" instead of "jar://" or
something similar which Facelets doesn't recognize properly, hence it
won't the taglibs. Additionally the default Facelets view resource
loader assumes that the views can be accessed using the
ExternalContext (i.e. it's assuming that it's deployed within a proper
WAR file, which isn't the case). Therefore I had to implement a custom
Facelets resource loader as well.

How do you know which bundle to use for class loading when parsing an
expression string like "#{bean.propery}", where bean is a managed
bean? Don't you map beans to bundles somehow? At least I assume that
you don't based on the statement that the class loading problem
requires just some "small modifications to ClassUtil".

Additionally I've struggled with the dependencies of MyFaces as well,
for example, all those common-* projects, as they don't provide bundle
information within their manifest files and hence aren't recognized by
the OSGi container. However, somehow these classes have to be
accessible and therefore I have created another Maven plugin that
embeds these dependencies if the developer wants to create a OSGi
compatible MyFaces build. Basically it just creates a folder called
"/META-INF/lib/" similar to "/WEB-INF/lib/" and uses the manifest file
statement "Bundle-ClassPath" to load those libraries.

Don't get me wrong, if you really just require a few changes, then
feel free to contribute them, but I doubt that those changes are
sufficient. However, in order to ensure that we're not talking at
cross-purposes, please describe your execution environment a little
bit more. It seems that you're using Equinox, does Equinox provide an
OSGi HTTP service implementation on it's own? How does deployment
work, i.e does the OSGi HTTP service implementation know how to parse
a web.xml file, or do you have to register the FacesServlet
programmatically somehow?

regards,
Bernhard