myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on Trinidad
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2008 17:53:12 GMT
Simon Lessard schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> The UIX issue is a very valid one indeed and so few link to it remains,
> it's a shame that we didn't get rid of it already and I'm to blame a lot
> for that because I started it a long time ago but was never able to
> finish it.
>
> However, as Matthias pointed out, JSF 2.0 standardize Trinidad's
> principal core features namely PPR and Resource handling and hopefully
> skinning too. Under such circumstances, I feel that we should wait for
> 2.0 to be cemented before going through a massive refactoring of some of
> the old and twisted code parts so that the refactored design is fully
> compatible with 1.2, but using 2.0 concept to make the upgrade to 2.0
> easier imho.

Actually regarding skinning, I have used Trinidad at a customer and I
personally consider the way Trinidad handles skinning one of the weak
points which should be considered to be thought over.
The reason for this simply was the experience seeing one developer
hammering his head against the table trying to learn how to skin it.
And it becomes worse with more complicated components.

I personally think the entire skinning aspect, while technologically
being really impressive with a CSS3 down to browser CSS support is a
huge problem for many to adapt the component library.

At least it should be simplified for certain components!
The UIX dependencies are another problem, but I personally consider the
complexity of component skinning an even bigger issue, which might even
be way harder to address!