myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IPR for Base64OutputStream
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:09:38 GMT
Hi,

the code was donated to the ASF in 2006, when Oracle donated
"Trinidad" (formal ADF Faces 10.x)
This code is now licensed under the Apache 2.0 license.

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In a recent commit to Apache JAMES Mime4J I introduced a Base64OutputStream
> released from your project (Apache MyFaces Trinidad).
>
> I referenced the source in the svn commit and I added a line to the
> source file header saying "This class has been copied from Apache
> MyFaces Trinidad 1.2.8"
>
> I see the NOTICE for the ASF MyFaces Trinidad package I downloaded to get
> the Base64OutputStream.java file include this:
> -------------
> Portions of this software were originally based on the following:
>
>  - software copyright (c) 2000-2006, Oracle Corp, <http://www.oracle.com/>.
> and are licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
> "Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement"
> -------------
>
> I tried to understand if the Base64OutputStream was from this
> grant/contribution or not, but I can only find this:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/trinidad-api/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/trinidad/util/Base64OutputStream.java?revision=404824&view=markup
> and the original incubated code:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/adffaces/trunk/adf-faces/adf-faces-api/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/adf/util/Base64OutputStream.java?revision=404824&view=markup&pathrev=404824
>
> The first version of the NOTICE file is newer than the import above and
> already includes the Oracle reference:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/NOTICE.txt?revision=466284&view=markup
>

> From my understanding (also scanning markmail for "Oracle" + "Trinidad")
> Oracle contributed minor parts of the code (mainly message bundle
> translations and a portlet-bridge code.. but MyFaces team included a generic
> reference to Oracle in the main NOTICE.

Oracle donated the following (already) to the ASF:
-Trinidad (therefore the statement in the notice file)
-translations, to be used in Trinidad (since we internally use
Trinidad, inside our own framework)
-Portlet bridge (not releated to Trinidad), which is the RI of a JSR.

(of other donations before I joined Oracle I am not aware)

> Looking in trinidad-1.2.8-src-all.zip java files I see many of them have a
> version header  with an "oracle" reference in the path:
> -----
> @version $Name:  $ ($Revision:
> adfrt/faces/adf-faces-api/src/test/java/oracle/adf/view/faces/convert/ConverterTestCase.java#0
> $) $Date: 17-oct-2005.16:28:54 $
> ------

that is from "old" CVS usage, inside of Oracle.
Perhaps we should remove that line? Or change it to "work" with SVN..

> The Base64OutputStream is not one of them.

looks like the CVS settings wasn't applied to that file, but it is for
sure part of
the Trinidad donation in 2006.

> It would be wonderful if Apache MyFaces Trinidad could tell us if the
> Base64OutputStream was part of the Oracle contribution or not, so we know if
> we have to add Oracle in our product notice, too, or not.

Yes, ORA donated the file. Now it is licensed under ASL 2.0
but the copyright, I guess you have to add (to be 100% corrrect, right?)

> For ASF reusability issues it would also be cool if the NOTICE gave more
> details on what are the "Portions" involved in the grant.

pretty much everything from Trinidad.
What kind of wording do you suggest ?

-Matthias

--