myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From simon <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: Sending a request without using AJAX
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:14:23 GMT
I *believe* the situation is this (please correct me if I'm wrong).

There are three ways to do asynch calls:

* Built-in XHttpRequest (aka XHR) functionality in the browser. This is
the best and the "modern" way. IE7, Firefox, and several other browsers
support this. But not IE6

* XHttpRequest via activex. This is needed only for IE6, and does
require active-x scripting enabled.

* IFrame approach. Old, and mostly obsolete. Oracle ADFFaces used it,
but that product is now dead. Don't know what other libs might support
this.

So Elias, I think you're stuck. No modern toolkit supports the IFrame
approach any more. And the XHR approach on IE6 requires activex
scripting.

Looks like you'll need to either change your policy or upgrade your
browsers. Or do without AJAX.

Regards,
Simon