myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From simon <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: redeploy myfaces website
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:22:34 GMT
Hi Catalin,

There is really no such thing as "the whole website". MyFaces is a
family of projects, each of which is semi-independent and that includes
the websites. So each project's site needs to be redeployed separately.

Yes, that wiki page you reference is correct, but by "deploy the site"
it means *just* the top-level pages, not anything in any of the child
projects.

If a change is made (like the recent one) which affects all the myfaces
projects, then yes it is a nuisance to redeploy each bit separately. But
that's a rare case; more usually a specific project (eg core1.2) wants
to redeploy their bit, and it's best to be able to deploy just that bit
and not redeploy the entire set of pages for all projects.

I suppose that Continuum supports grouping build tasks, so we could
create one build task that deploys the site for each project, but I'm
not sure the "redeploy everything" operation is common enough to make it
worthwhile.

For now, just go into each project in continuum (core11, core12,
trinidad, orchestra, etc) and run the "build site" bit separately.

Note:

With maven's site generation, each module's site.xml can point to
whatever skin it wants. When I rearranged the websites a few months back
I arranged for most websites to use the same skin, by updating the
site.xml for each project to point to:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/maven/trunk/myfaces-site-skin/
As you have updated that skin, each project's site should automatically
inherit that look.

However a limitation of Maven is that menus cannot be specified by
pointing to an external dependency like a skin; menus are always
inherited from the parent pom. But some myfaces projects might want to
inherit from the parent myfaces pom but want to choose their own menus.
So for the moment, each myfaces subproject instead has its own
copy-and-paste version of the "standard" myfaces menus. I presume you'll
need to change the site.xml file for each project before redeploying the
site for that project in order to get all the menus consistent...

Regards,
Simon