myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno Aranda" <brunoara...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [tomahawk] why bother with 1.2?
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:45:16 GMT
I think if something simplifies the maintenance of tomahawk I welcome
it. Moving stuff to commons and all that is an early idea and I have
not read specific plans about how we could do that, who could do that,
so I guess it will take a while to go. In the meanwhile, if we can
just remove some of the complexity of tomahawk, that is great, and a
simpler thing will motivate component authors as well.
Using the component generator may facilitate as well to bring the
tomahawk components closer to trinidad and viceversa,

Cheers,

Bruno

On 30/01/2008, Simon Kitching <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, the first question to ask is: what do we want to release in the near future?
>
> I think the next Tomahawk release should be 1.1.7, containing bugfixes and a few promotions
from sandbox. It should not contain radical refactoring of the build process.

> In the longer term, I believe we are planning to move a bunch of existing code out of
Tomahawk into commons. So then Tomahawk will not be a drop-in replacement for the old one,
as pages referencing t:foo will then have to reference some new commons tag that provides
the equivalent functionality.

> There is also stuff in tomahawk that needs cleaning up. For example, IMO the inputCalendar
should be two tags; one for popup and one not. Having them as a single component is a major
headache.

> And there are lots of other cleanups that could be made, eg removing bad ideas (I think
forceId is one thing that should go completely, replaced by a more generic solution).

> So if we are going to make a non-backwards-compatible release of Tomahawk code, then
it seems to me that we should look at whether what is left would cause confusion by inheriting
the tomahawk name. If we only factor out 10% into commons, and only make significant changes
to another 10% of tags, then yes the existing name might be reasonable. But if major changes
are to be made, then we must change the taglib namespace and java package-name otherwise the
new code and the old code cannot live together in the same app. And the easiest solution to
that would be to call this significantly new lib something else - eg "commons ui widgets".

> I *do* like much of what is currently in tomahawk, and am not suggesting throwing the
code away. But if a major refactor is applied, then we probably need a new name.

> And re the code-generation stuff: personally I don't like it at all. Agreed it does suck
less than the old approach, but it still is ugly. I'm hoping to find time to experiment with
some alternatives. Now of course I'm not suggesting that everything stop until I deliver a
wonderful new solution :-). However given that 1.1.7 is the short-term goal, and 1.2 is questionable
it doesn't seem a good time to be doing all that work on a Tomahawk 1.2 build system.