myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: svn commit: r613743 - in /myfaces/core/trunk_1.2.x: api/pom.xml build/pom.xml impl/pom.xml pom.xml
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:12:47 GMT
---- Bernd Bohmann <bernd.bohmann@atanion.com> schrieb:

> Simon Kitching schrieb:
>
> > Yes, the above approach will work. But it is worrying to look at a pom and see something
without a version attached. It requires work to confirm that this is valid (ie that a parent
does define a version). And it sets a bad example for other people; I have just been through
all the poms and cleaned up *many* cases where plugins and dependencies were being used without
any version being declared anywhere.

> > The supposed advantage of declaring the version in a parent pom is that all the
children can be "pushed" to a new version at once. But in fact that is not true, because this
requires (a) a new version of the parent to be released, then (b) every child be updated to
use the new parent. Ok, it does work a little better during SNAPSHOT cycles, where a modified
parent gets picked up automatically.

> > But there is no great advantage in having all child modules using the same plugin
version anyway. If a module works with version X of a plugin, then why move to a different
one? That just risks breakage of that module for no gain, as it worked fine before with the
old one.

> I think everybody should use pluginManagement and dependencyManagement
> in a multi module maven project.

A few reasons would be helpful Bernd :-)

Why do you think pluginManagement/dependencyManagement is better? What are the errors in my
statements above?

Regards,
Simon