myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Manfred Geiler" <manfred.gei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [result][vote] start up the MyFaces Commons project
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:35:59 GMT
yes, fine!
please consider the following structure:

myfaces-jsfcommons
   |---- myfaces-jsfcommons-api
   |---- myfaces-jsfcommons-impl
   |---- myfaces-jsfcommons-sandbox

(we must avoid the name "myfaces-commons" for there was once a project
with that name - see maven repo!)

api = the classes and interfaces, that users will directly use (ie.
import) in their code (= compile scope dependency)
impl = internal implementation classes, users will need during runtime
only (= runtime scope dependency)

furthermore:
 - api classes and interfaces must not change between two bugfix
releases (eg. from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1)
 - api classes and interfaces might vary (be extended) between two
minor releases (eg. from 1.0.3 to 1.1.0) - BUT only backwards
compatible!
 - api classes and interfaces might be totally different between two
major releases (eg. from 1.5.3 to 2.0.0) - BUT need not  ;-)
 - impl classes (and interfaces) can be changed, added, removed,
refactored whenever needed

This is no unnecessary effort IMHO. jsfcommons can only be successful
and widely accepted if users can confide in a stable API that is not
subject to change on every single release. In a community driven
project this is only possible with some rules. And systematically
separating API from Impl classes in different JARs make these rules
very simple and intuitive.

--Manfred

--
http://www.irian.at