myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [orchestra] ViewController design
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:29:00 GMT
hi,

I am not aware that the shale vc has something like a configuration. Doesn't it just use the
viewId mapping?

Well, I can live with an extra configuration, but then, we should have a look how the shale
dialog scxml fits in here - just that any eventual adaption of shale dialog in the future
fits in easier then - and maybe not introduce yet another config then.
The pro might be that one can have different VC depending on the dialog state per page then
- if this is of any use at all ;-)

Mario

-----Original Message-----
From: "Matthias Wessendorf" <matzew@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, Okt 23, 2007 9:38 am
Subject: Re: [orchestra] ViewController design
To: Reply-    "MyFaces Development" <dev@myfaces.apache.org>To: "MyFaces Development"
<dev@myfaces.apache.org>

> So in this case, what is really wanted is an "init workflow" callback?
>
>yes;
>

> That sounds reasonable; the generic case of "call this method when in this view, call
this other method when in a different view" sounds odder.

>yeah, a bit :-)

>> I feel that it would be better to have information about what conversation a view
is in (rather than just what backing beans receive its lifecycle events) [1]. Alternately,
we define what views are in a conversation; same info but somewhat different emphasis.

>I think, that a) or c) are nice, than b)
>I don't like to add components, just because I use a "conversation framework". The component
should make sense inside of the view and not somehow
>"mark" some pages to be part of a flow.
>
>I understand that some don't like to write XML (a); so (c) might be the way to go, but
there is the a dependency.

>Looks like b) and c) have somehow some dependencies, that aren't
>always wanted. Perhaps a) ?
>
>-Matthias
>

> Once we know what conversation a view is in, we check if the conversation already exists.
If no, and this is not the first view in the conversation, then redirect to the first page[2],
load all beans that are declared as being in the scope of this conversation and have lifecycle
annotations [3], and invoke any init-workflow methods on them.

>> This is not really very different in practice from what is currently done. It just
makes workflows "declarative" (configured) rather than "procedural" (defined by bean behaviours).

>> [1] Determining the conversation for a view could be done via (a) an external config-file,
(b) via a component in the view, or (c) via annotations on beans.

>> (a) is effectively what Spring WebFlow and Shale ViewController does, AIUI.
>
>> (b) seems nice to me too. As Mario has mentioned earlier, there are problems with
JSF1.1+jsp when using a component in the page to declare the conversation for a view. On the
first render of the page, the component doesn't exist until after earlier components have
been rendered. Personally I don't think this is a major issue; that combination is being phased
out, and anyway it isn't unreasonable to just tell people to put the tag as the first child
of their f:view. Using components like this means we cannot "print out a list" of all the
workflows defined in the system, which is a nice feature of something like WebFlow. However
it does mean far less configuration; adding a new view to the workflow means adding the