myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Winer" <awi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Apache MyFaces commons
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 16:53:57 GMT
On 5/4/07, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:
> > - Are we looking to define internal utilities shared among
> >   Trinidad/Tomahawk/Tobago?
>
> yes that's my understanding
>
> > - Are we looking to define public APIs shared among these
> >   projects?
>
> yes common api for these projects but not necessarily immutable
>
> > - Are we going to have a common package name for all
> >   such code?
>
> +1
>
> > IMO, we should:
> >  - Have no components at all in here, at least to start,
> >    whether or not they render markup.
>
> Definitely +1
>
> >  - Use a common package name
>
> +1
>
> >  - Be very cautious and slow as we build this up, being *really*
> >    sure about the APIs we're adding.  This should be a foundational
> >    stone for a long time.
>
> +1 for go slow
>
> >  - Start enforcing a public vs. private API split for real, and
> >    be rigorous about when we change public APIs without
> >    preserving backwards compatibility.
>
> +0
>
> it would be nice to have stable public API but i don't think that its
> the end of the world if its not stable.  primary purpose of this (imo)
> is to promote consolidation and harmony amongst myfaces subprojects.

For some customers (who write certain paychecks :) ), unstable
public APIs *are* the end of the world, in that changed APIs
mean they can't upgrade.

> > Also, I don't think build dependencies belong in here, at least
> > not in terms of a packaged JAR.  Whether they live in
> > a "commons" in terms of SVN locations is fine.
>
> not sure what this refers to.  please explain.

Someone (forget who) was suggesting that the faces Maven
plugin (currently in Trinidad) should be part of Commons.
Obviously, a Maven plugin lives in its own JAR.  I'm OK
with having shared build tools in a common SVN tree,
just so it's clearer for someone working on the project.
Make sense?

-- Adam