myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Grant Smith" <work.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create a notifications mailing list
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 20:35:40 GMT

> On May 15, 2007, at 8:36 AM, Grant Smith wrote:
>
> I'm +1 for the new list. For those of you who use the continuum success
> notifications as a validation that your commits didn't break anything, shame
> on you! :) You should DEFINITELY compile locally before committing your
> code, and not rely on continuum.
>

> Sure, everyone should compile before committing, but I think you are being
> unrealistic :-)  While I don't work much on myfaces, on the projects I do
> work on consistently I often have several modifications going at once and
> commit stuff related to only one of them at a time.  Having an automated
> build system is a lot more reliable to catch problems than waiting for
> people to complain on the mailing list or trying to remember to check out
> the changes into another copy of the project and build it there.

However, due to the time lag between committing and the automated build
system compiling the project, there exists the possibility that some poor
soul checks out a non-compilable version. This is not acceptable, and
usually the cause of much elevated blood pressure :)

I don't dispute the value of an automated build system as a means to provide
snapshots of the most up-to-date development. I agree, too, that we should
commit logical units of work at a time into the repository. I'm just saying
we should make certain what we commit doesn't break compilation.

thanks

--
Grant Smith