myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tree2
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:43:55 GMT
Hi M-

On 10/4/06, Martin Marinschek <martin.marinschek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm reviewing the tree2 currently, and I was wondering if we could
> have a discussion about some of the concepts.
>
> First thing I'd like to discuss is what happens with selected nodes.
> Currently, selecting a node fires an action-listener. This is somewhat
> ok, but I believe the selection-model of a tree should rather be a
> list of values, stored at a useful place. Therefore, the tree should
> implement the EditableValueHolder-interface, then we could do a lot
> more with the values of the tree as well.

I am not really sure about the EditableValueHolder. In Trinidad the
Tree (UIXTree) is type of UIXCollection, which is also used by
UIXTable.

I remember some discussions from Sean in the past that they Tree2
should extend UIData instead of UIComponent(Base)

> The change would necessitate to move the current "value" attribute to
> some other name - I suppose the name "model" would be more appropriate

nothing wrong w/ using model instead of value, since value makes sense on
(editable)valueHolders to me...
(like UIOutput, UIInput, UISelect*,...)

> anyways (I've never understood why a dataTable has a
> "value"-attribute, by the way, the semantics for the value-attribute
> are generally quite different).

I guess they just simply introduced that since there was a "value" of
(edit.)value:_holders

> Additionally, the tree is doing a lot with respect to the markup of
> the component. I'm not sure if this is useful as very large HTML-bases
> result from this. I suspect it would be better to only transfer the
> data-model to the client (and maybe templates for each node-type), and
> then render the nodes on the client dynamically.

you mean sending "xml" to the client and using a JS_engine to render
on the client side?

-Matthias

> Thoughts?
>
> regards,