myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Tomahawk 1.1.4 branch
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 02:18:25 GMT

> After a branch, all changes should be made to the trunk.
>
> If a branch has a major-priority error that has been fixed in trunk,
> it should be merged back to the branch (and ideally, a new minor
> branch release would be made <1.1.major.minor>).

At this point I'm focused on getting the first release off the branch,
but I saw that you mentioned this in another thread, and I like it.

The branch already exists.  Changing the version number to (for
example) 1.1.3.1-SNAPSHOT, fixing a single important bug, and
releasing it quickly would be much better than starting over from the
trunk, getting distracted by other changes, and having it drag on for
weeks.

> There may be times when a major branch bug cannot be fixed on trunk,
> at which point applying the fix solely to the branch would be
> appropriate.

Agreed, though it should be rare.  At least, I'm having trouble
thinking up a reason that doesn't involve either a somewhat broken
trunk, or one that's taken a sharp right turn after the branch.  (I
know, let's reorganize the svn repo *again*!)

Thanks,
--
Wendy