myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Kienenberger" <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IMPORTANT: Calling all committers
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:31:39 GMT
On 8/3/06, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tell me what revision the check in was so I can revert it.  Then just
> apply to the trunk ok?

I'm assuming you mean apply it to the branch.

As for the revision,

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-467?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion:subversion-commits-tabpanel

states 428204

I'm more than happy to learn how to do this myself rather than making you do it.

<RANT MODE>
However, I think it's a backward approach to be making patches to a
branch, and then porting them over at some later time to trunk.
Branches should be static except when applying maintenance fixes, and
those fixes should be merged over from trunk after being tested, not
the other way around.   As things stand, you get the worst of both
worlds -- you have a branch that doesn't have the latest features
combined with a trunk that doesn't have the latest bug fixes.  In an
ideal world, the timeframe for this would be small enough that maybe
it wouldn't be a big deal, but we all know that releases take multiple
days and often weeks in practice.
</RANT MODE>