myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Allen" <dan.j.al...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release Tomahawk 1.1.3
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2006 02:32:12 GMT
-1, show stopper bug!

It just so happens that today I decided that I would upgrade my
company's web application to myfaces 1.1.3 and tomahawk 1.1.3 and in
the process ran into a major bug.  I will file this immediately after
this post in jira, but felt that it was important to mention it on
this thread so that the developers have an opportunity to take
appropriate measures.

After the merge of the tomahawk data table with the newspaper table, a
bug was introduced that causes faulty behavior in the rendering of the
row-level attributes.  The problem stems from the fact that
setRowIndex() occurs after the renderRowStart() in
HtmlTableRendererBase.  Consequently, all the row-level expressions
are off by one row, and the first row has no data.

Take the following example and run it to see what I am talking about:

<t:dataTable var="item" value="#{bean.items}" rowIndexVar="index">
<h:column>
row index: <h:outputText value="#{index}" />; item: <h:outputText
value="#{item}" />
</h:column>
</t:dataTable>

I built the code today from the tag 1_1_3.  Unless this was something
recently fixed in the trunk, it probably still exists.

/dan

> On 6/9/06, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew@apache.org> wrote:
> > Craig-
> >
> > thanks for heads up. That particular RC for the Tomahawk 1.1.3 is
> > listed available for download under [1]. That Shared 2.0.2 thing is
> > *no* extra jar to be added to your WEB-INF/lib. The Shared clazzes are
> > included in Tomahawk
> (org.apache.myfaces.shared_tomahawk.**)
> >
> > The folder [1] also contains a pom file for that Tomahawk 1.1.3 RC
>

> OK, good ... I see that the proposed bits have indeed been published to a
> special repository for testing, and thereby withdraw my -1.  But I still
> recommend a [VOTE] message for a release should specifically include such a
> URL (and perhaps instructions on how to temporarily modify your Maven
> settings to download and test this version) instead of just assuming that
> everyone knows where the bits are, and what to do.
>

> > -Matthias
>

> Craig
>

> > [1] http://tinyurl.com/mu4t9

> > > I should have spoken up earlier on, but I have a problem with this
> approach
> > > to release votes.
> > >
> > > In the Struts world, the release manager tends to put up a particular
> set of
> > > bits in his or her personal directory  on people.apache.org, and then
> posts
> > > the vote request as "I propose to release *this set of bits* ..."  That
> way,
> > > the other committers can download and check out exactly what is being
> > > proposed.
> > >
> > > Yes, with Maven based builds it is easy to assume that you and I will
> build
> > > identical artifacts, but it is still easier than you think for that not
> > > be the case.  Besides that, we caught packaging errors in several of the
> > > recent Struts Action Framework and Shale builds that would not have been
> > > caught if we hadn't been examining the actual bits being proposed.
> > >
> > > I would strongly suggest following this approach in MyFaces as well.
> > >
> > > On this basis, I'm -1 (non-binding as I'm not on the PMC).
> > >
> > > Craig

> > --
> > Matthias Wessendorf
> > Aechterhoek 18
> > 48282 Emsdetten
> > mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

--
Daniel Allen
Registered Linux User #231597

Mojavelinux.com: Open Source Advocacy
http://www.mojavelinux.com

While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily basis,
life and work come first and, at times, keep me away from my mail for a
while. If you contact me and then don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.