myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Summer of Code
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 09:05:48 GMT
jacob@hookom.net schrieb:
> I've been chatting with Gavin about this for some time-- the code generation vs. dynamic
generation for scaffolding.  I believe the tooling coming from seam/hbm is all code generation
where I would think there would be advantages to having component sets that dynamically determine
validators and converters based on metadata.  Higher level components could be constructed
to actually compose the CRUD pages as a droppable component.

1 1/2 years ago, I did my own Crud Generation system based on xdoclet
(where I added annotations to the orm mapping classes).
Well, to sum it up, it cut down the development time for an actual
project around 70%, so having such a system in place is really vital.

But the problem is, I think in the end only a combined approach of
generators and scaffolding makes sense.
Crud Generators produce averagly a higher number of artefacts than what
is needed in many situations, due to the higher abstraction of the code
it generates. But on the other hand they give you the freedom to
interfere at a later stage manually, which you would lose in a pure
scaffolding approach.

For a quick check and for the reduction of artefacts
I think combining that with scaffolding makes more sense, in a way that
you can get the best of both worlds.