myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Hookom <ja...@hookom.net>
Subject Re: idea regarding components
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:24:52 GMT
I think where the performance shows up is that with JSP, you are
buffering a lot of non-component data on each call, so the
'instructions' for your tree have to be re-evaluated with each request.

When you get into AJAX or partial processing, this can get expensive!

With Facelets, we have a static/shared set of instructions for building
component trees and inline content (what would be buffered with JSP) is
simply referenced by each user's component tree.  So if you are using
AJAX to partially process only a few components, then you haven't
buffered/evaluated anything from your original document, just gotten
shared references, which less overhead on the server.

-- Jacob

Martin Marinschek wrote:
> Facelets are faster - the JSP overhead goes with them. Adam quoted 14%
> speed gains by using Facelets.
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 4/18/06, Mario Ivankovits <mario@ops.co.at> wrote:
>
>> Hi Werner!

>>> Different components, I have had this idea for some time now.
>>>

>> Sorry, I dont like this idea.
>>
>> I dont know, why you think facelets are speedier. They use exactly the
>> same renderer class, no?
>>
>> The only thing you win is not to have to write the tag class and a tld.
>> Its not worth to risk to have new components only work with facelets.
>>
>> Wasnt one of the ideas of JSF to allow a migration from JSP to JSF? We
>> shouldnt break it.
>>
>> But I admit having to write the html markup in an renderer is a pain.
>> What about a html2jsf converter which takes a html input file and
>> generates the out.write stuff?
>> Should be possible.
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Mario
>>

> --
>
> http://www.irian.at
>
> Your JSF powerhouse -
> JSF Consulting, Development and
> Courses in English and German

Sent from my FrankenBerry Wireless Handheld