myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Kienenberger" <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Messages when redirecting
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:40:11 GMT
On 3/27/06, Travis Reeder <treeder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone opposed to doing something like this for messages after a redirect:
>
> 1. Save messages in session
> 2. Use messages in session and remove from session
>
> Rather than just on the request?  This way, they can be shown after a
> redirect.  At least in the tomahawk messages tag anyways.

I don't think it's a good idea.   The end-developer may not want a
session created.   Is it reasonable to assume that a thread-local
variable could be used instead since the same thread will continue
processing the request?   I'm not really an expert on servlets or
thread-local variables, so consider this more of a -0 than  a -1.

And if we do handle messages like this, I'd like to see us also handle
saveState behavior like this as well.   I suppose we might need a
"preserveAcrossRedirect" attribute set on saveState to insure we
support the existing behavior in case someone is counting on redirects
to fail to saveState.