myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "John Fallows" <john.r.fall...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: future vision for MyFaces "commons"
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:21:37 GMT
On 3/1/06, Manfred Geiler <manfred.geiler@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/06, John Fallows <john.r.fallows@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We need to define the meaning of "with more caution".
>
> Terms for future commons utils and helpers:
>
> * stable API

+1. :-)

* downward compatibility within major version numbers

+1.

Backwards compatible at runtime, compile time or both?

* separation between API and Impl (to achieve the latter two)

+1.

Separated by different packages, JARs, or both?

* not MyFaces specific

+1.  These APIs might become candidates for inclusion in future versions of
the JSF specification.

Would the compilation dependency graph look something like this?

[myfaces-commons-api] --depends-on--> [jsf-api]
[myfaces-commons-impl] --depends-on--> [myfaces-commons-api, jsf-api]
[myfaces-tomahawk] --depends-on--> [myfaces-commons-api, jsf-api]

Would the following compilation dependency be avoided?

[myfaces-tomahawk] --depends-on--> [myfaces-commons-impl]

* make sense for all or many JSF component authors and/or app developers

+1.

More?

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.