myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Core and JDK 1.3
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 01:00:40 GMT
Hi,

The manifest JVM version is whatever JVM was used to run the "jar" task,
which obviously *was* the 1.4 jvm.

I expect that the <source> and <target> tags just set the -source and
-target options for the compiler. So the compiler used is still the
default one (whatever was used to run maven; 1.4 in this case), but it
has been told to generate bytecode compatible with 1.3 JVMs.

There are some problems with just using <target> though. The java
compiler still uses the *current rt.jar* libraries even though it
outputs old-format bytecode. Code that references classes/methods not in
the older java version will therefore compile but not run on the target
JVM. In addition, there are a few corner cases where new overloaded
methods have been added to the library, causing code which compiles
*successfully* with (eg) javac-1.3 AND javac-1.4 to fail when the
1.4-compiled version is run in a 1.3 JVM. One of the StringBuffer
methods falls into this category.

Unfortunately, Maven2 requires java 1.4 to run, so simply running the
whole build with java 1.3 won't work. I did see some stuff in the maven
docs about specifying a *path to a jdk* in the maven-compiler-plugin
configuration.

Cheers,

Simon