myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse Alexander \(KBSA 21\)" <alexander.je...@credit-suisse.com>
Subject RE: Bookmarking, History and JSF
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:38:35 GMT
to put it in a nutshell:

add GET-processing to JSF...

+100 ;-)

regards
Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Marinschek [mailto:martin.marinschek@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 10:35 AM
To: MyFaces Development
Subject: Bookmarking, History and JSF

Hi all,

I'm having ideas again. Must come from too much work with JSF ;)

My idea:

Bookmarking is a problem with JSF, right? Except you use h:outputLink,
but then there's this slight problem with not being in the action
system anymore ;)

Now, what do I want to be able to see in my history or to bookmark? I
want to bookmark simple pages, where state is not so important at all.
Or only a small portion of the state is important...

Those simple pages I usually refer to with an "action" attribute that
is put (as a string) directly on the <h:commandLink /> or
<h:commandButton/> tag, right?

Why not render out this action attribute as a parameter to the URL of
the link optionally, not submitting a form and loosing all JSF state,
but having a bookmarkable link?

The developer can decide then:
 - do I need this link to be bookmarked
- do I want this link to  use the plain old JSF posting system with
state-saving.

Enhancement: we could additionally render out params to this link as -
yes, right, params to the URL. So people can optionally build there
web-apps just like they were used to when JSF wasn't around.

Good idea - bad idea - better idea ;) ?

regards,

Martin

--